Monday, March 9, 2020

Commute Ride

Over the last 20 something years of commuting back and forth to school has evolved.  It is only about eight miles but a lot can happen during that short ride.  When my kids were young it was the stress of locating and loading all their outdoor gear to prepare for recess,  making sure they had their homework, instruments, etc.  Then there were the times that I got half way to school and one of them forgot something and I would have to turn around.  Already stressed thinking about what I had to do for the day adding drive time to my morning was not in the plans.  I may have have slammed on the brakes hard constricting them a tad bit with the seat belt.  Sadly, I can't remember too many heartfelt conversations because I was too absorbed in the stress of work.  
The next phase was when my kids weren't in school and it was just me.  My morning consisted of getting myself ready.  Drinking a cup of coffee and watching the morning news before heading into school.  Cranking my favorite radio station up absorbed in my own head.  
Now, the last phase is picking up my grand kids every morning and then bringing them home.    Now it's my daughter who wears the stress of the morning routine on her face when I pick them up.  The conversations I have with them are always entertaining.
My 5 year old granddaughter, Clair, told me one morning that her mother just doesn't understand her! This was after she was slowly trying to chose the perfect shoes to match her outfit. 
This morning Clair was insistent that the full bright moon in the sky was the sun until I pointed out the sun on the other side. She just couldn't understand how you could see the moon and sun in the same sky.  The moon is supposed to go to bed so the sun could come up.  She was so surprised that the moon was following us to school.  The chatter of small voices reminds me to slow down and enjoy the little moments.  I have plenty of time to stew about the worries of the day.  

1 comment:

  1. PRrrrrrOOOUUUUUd of you! Look what you did there!
    I must agree, little voices make me slow down too, even though my own are not small anymore, I was around a 2 yr and 9 mo old the other day and all the memories flooded back, making me take in the sweetness.

    ReplyDelete