Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The Tree

Time doesn't stand still but sometimes it feels as if it might. Some events you will look back and think fondly of them.  Some events you will try hard to not look back because they are not easy to think about.  
One of those days I try hard not to let my mind wander back to is the day of my son's funeral.   It was a dark day even though the weather tried to tell a different tale.  The sun was especially warm for a mid September day and the sunset was brilliant with purple, pinks, oranges painting the sky with vibrant colors.  
At that time in my life that Trent left us here on Earth stood still as we suffered an unthinkable loss in agony I have felt that time did stand still.  I mean how can life really go on without my son?  How can others go on with their lives?  His friends continued to go to school without him,   Family gathered on holidays without him.  All while I stood still unable to go on.  
I must have figured out how to go on.  I know this because in our front yard of our farm is a scarlet red maple tree.  It was planted the day of Trent's funeral.  They asked where I wanted it but I didn't care, I didn't tell them that, it was a nice gesture just too difficult to think about.  
That scarlet maple tree has thrived over the years of agonizing loss.  It now towers about 15 to 20 foot tall.  In the summer the dogs lay under the shade of the tree and in the fall the colors are a brilliant red color.  
So although it may seem as if time can stand still... it doesn't ... it can't.  Life does go on even when you don't want it to but good can happen it just may take some time.  Be patient. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a poignant expression. I appreciate your words capturing the feelings that accompany loss. I remember staring in wonder as people went about their business when I couldn't imagine how to put one foot in front of the other. That was 23 years ago. I still feel the loss, but the edges are not as sharp. And I love your tree. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree is beautiful. Reminds me of a living heart of love growing right beside you. Love the image of the dogs resting in the shade soaking in the love.

    ReplyDelete