Sunday, March 26, 2017

Can't we get along!

Why can't we all just get along!
Every day we work through many different kinds of conflicts with our children in the classroom, working hard to get to the bottom of the issue searching for the truth so that both sides can walk away and feel satisfied that it was solved.  Then we reiterate to both, that once it's been hashed out to move on and don't dwell.  Let bygones be bygones.  In addition I find myself telling students  to not tattle tell,"blood, guts and tears".  As students feel compelled to rush in to hang their friends out to dry with out really knowing the facts first. 
Every day I continue to wonder why I have to reiterate the same issues with my students seemingly getting worse each year that I teach.  Some days it even seems that I can't move through the lesson contents because I have to deal with conflict resolutions instead. 
Suddenly it hits me like a baseball bat.  We are teaching our youth by example.  All you have to do is watch the news and it's crystal clear why our youth can't resolve conflicts and feel compelled to rush to tell on each other without the full facts.   The news is completely full of Americans unable to resolve conflicts, picking to share parts of a full story so that we remain unsure of what is the whole truth is.  Regardless of what "side" you stand on doesn't matter because with out any give or take a resolution can never happen.  Without getting to the bottom to reveal who is telling the truth it remains a precarious walk on a tight rope of untrustworthiness. 
A game of tug-of-war.  Back and forth.  No give and take.  Petty tattle tales never getting to the core of truth.
Regardless of my position or anyone else's stance, our children are observing and learning by example.
If adults can't get to the bottom of real issues, compromise, talk the full truth and nothing but the truth then how can we progress.  We expect our youth of the future to learn how to resolve daily conflicts and be honest.  So, why can't we!

4 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! I agree with you completely! And I think we adults are also showing a lack of respect for each other (and sometimes rules), which is trickling down to the children. I have been struggling with how to build empathy and understanding in students, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for putting this so succinctly! I'm amazed at the society we've become and am fearful for this up and coming generation. I'm hopeful that we won't reap what we sow, but that hope is starting to erode. Thanks for what you do, though, with your students--we can't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Kris! I agree, it seems to be getting worse instead of better. This is a good example of us being the change we want to see in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All we can continue to do is be the example. I keep hoping that the examples in closer proximity might hold more tightly. We certainly can't give up, as Tim said.

    ReplyDelete