Sunday, March 5, 2017

Then and Now

Then and Now

Trent gave me a big hug when I saw him today.  I hadn't seen him in a while.  "Mrs. Shrontz how are you doing?  You look good."
"Thanks Trent!" I replied and then asked him what he was up to these days.
He proceeded to tell me all about how he has a job working on CNC machines, traveling all over the United States  for his father-in-law and married for almost a year. 
Even though he has to be away from his wife the appreciation for his job was apparent.  I asked if he thought he would be able to move into a position where he didn't have to travel and he replied, "They treat me good, I've gotten a raise and I have everything paid for! I have to earn my way."
"Good for you!  I am so glad that you are doing so well." I encouraged.
Then he shared with me that he still had the note with the shreds of cloth that I sent home to his dad about twenty years ago.

Dear Mr. Piepkow,
Trent decided to cut up his shirt today.
He couldn't really tell me why.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Shrontz

Enclosed in the envelope were his pieces of shirt. 

His wife had told him after reading this that he must have been quite a hellion.  "Nope, just wanted to be cool like all the older boys with cut off sleeves."

I smiled as I walked away. 

3 comments:

  1. I find teaching so interesting in this way...unique stories that reside only with certain students. Your story is such a wonderful reminder of how many lives we touch as teachers, and how students remember how we make them feel. Thanks for sharing this! -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find teaching so interesting in this way...unique stories that reside only with certain students. Your story is such a wonderful reminder of how many lives we touch as teachers, and how students remember how we make them feel. Thanks for sharing this! -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess this shows how you never know what might mean something to someone. Who would have thought he would save the scraps from his cut up shirt? I bet you meant a lot to him for him to keep your note.

    ReplyDelete